Saturday, November 22, 2008

This is why fencers have a bad repuation

I had some trepidations about starting this blog, and about coaching fencing in general. While I am an accomplished fencer, and admittedly very good, I never had a good day when it counted for national points, and I seemed to miss out on my chance for British/Welsh national team consideration because of email difficulties (excuses excuses, I know). The other day I had a minor freakout about how I might actually be one of those awful awful coaches who I see at national competitions who apparently think they're amazing, and maybe once in high school or college they were OK. I'm sure if you've been around long enough you know who I mean, or you will if you fence long enough. Not that I have anything really against them, even if they are not turning out top level fencers, they are still increasing the appreciation, and helping grow the fencing community.
Then I saw this. Read as much as you can without hurting yourself. Now I don't feel so bad about attempting to start a coaching/fencing tips website. If I can direct even SOME people away from this...... stuff, I'll feel like I've done the internet a public service. Whoever wrote this appears to believe that:
  1. There are only two weapons (sorry sabre)
  2. Buzz boxes are the appropraite scoring device for practice (arguable, but most places have scoring machines these days, every club SHOULD, and every high school/college is REQUIRED)
  3. You can learn to coach fencing by attending coaching clinics
  4. Each fencer has multiple defensive "stances" and uses their foil to protect their head
  5. You equip the buzz box to the fencing dummy
  6. The best fencers have an extensive knowledge of fencing history
From all this, especially the first part of my point #4, I can only conclude that this author is confusing fencing with video games. Not even going into how he says it's best to be defensive. Although, now that I think about it, it remains consistent with his accepted two-weapon system. Another major gripe I have with this is that he calls the fencers "fighters." I'm sorry, but fencers are not fighters for the most part. In fact, watching fencers try and box can be pretty entertaining. This is up there with calling the fencing weapon a "sword." As this rant comes to a close, I can only conclude that this article was written by someone who has done a few too many medievil reenactments, and not enough fencing bouts. Fencing is a sport, and a serious one at that. As athletes and fencers, many of us work to get away from fencing being associated with the kids who should feel they should have been born 800 years earlier. Once again, I harbor no misgivings towards anyone who could be described this way, but call what you do what it is: swordplay, medieval reenactment, roleplaying. Not fencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment